In an effort to welcome students back to school after Labor Day and the summer vacation, President Obama has scheduled a webcast to speak to students about educational goals, to stay in school and take personal responsibility for their education ventures.
Although there has been huge controversy over whether or not teachers should have their students participate in this webcast, the White House has developed some classroom materials to support the viewing of the webcast.
Steve Hargadon has setup an Elluminate room to continue participation in this historic webcast with students.
President Obama is planning to speak to schoolchildren on 9/8/09 at 12:00pm Eastern Daylight Time (see http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html). I’ve set up an Elluminate session to run concurrently for those who want to share through the chat feature during his address, and then use the fuller Elluminate functionality for a post-address discussion. Register at http://www.learncentral.org to see the event in the calendar there or access the Elluminate session directly at https//sas.elluminate.com/site/external/launch/meeting.jnlp?sid=2008350&password=M.438D554F4A450D77B901E14104C303.
If you’d like to connect with other classrooms and have students responding to each other–which I think might be a fun experience–feel free to leave a comment here and once you have found a “partner” classroom or classrooms I can set you up with a similar Elluminate room. To do this you’ll want to have some familiarity with Elluminate or be working with someone who does. You’re also able, through the vRoom capability you automatically get at LearnCentral, to do this entirely on your own.
The educational page on the White House site lists the following information related to the webcast and curriculum materials:
- Tuesday, September 8th, at 12:00 PM (EDT)
How to Watch
- The President’s message will be streamed live on WhiteHouse.gov/live, and broadcast live on C-Span
- Downloadable video of the speech will be made available on this page later that day as it becomes available
- For school districts hoping to access the satellite feed, it will be available beginning at 11:00 AM (EDT) using the following coordinates:
* Galaxy 28/Transponder 17, Slot C (9 MHz)
* Uplink Frequency 14344.5 Horizontal
* Downlink Frequency 12044.5 Vertical
Classroom Engagement Resources
- Menu of classroom activities for students in grades preK-6 to stimulate discussion on the importance of education in students’ lives
- Menu of classroom activities for students in grades 7-12 to stimulate discussion on the importance of education in students’ lives
- A video contest for students will be launched soon – details will be available at http://www.ed.gov
Watch the PSA with NASCAR drivers below, and spread the word (find the direct link and the code to embed it in your website by clicking the triangle in the bottom right of the video):
Vodpod videos no longer available.
If you are participating in either of the above live events I am sure I will see you online somewhere in cyberspace next Tuesday. Enjoy!