Recently, Skip Z tagged me on his blog and plurk to participate in the “Seven Things about Me” meme sweeping the blogosphere. According to Wikipedia,
“A meme (pronounced /miːm/) comprises a unit or element of cultural ideas, symbols or practices; such units or elements transmit from one mind to another through speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena.”
So, as part of the meme, I am to list seven things about myself that people may not know , or may need to know, in an effort to help my PLN get to know me better. My seven things are as follow:
1. I am a huge tv watcher and absolutely love reality shows! I was recently informed that reality shows are detrimental to actors/actresses’ careers due to not paying dues and being a part of the Screen Actor’s Guild. While I respect that sentiment, I can’t resist and love to watch people on these shows make a fool of themselves!
2. Just about every evening is spent online playing games and chatting with my friends on Skype. I have friends in Hawaii, Arizona, Georgia, Washington and around the world that I am very close to. Many of my f2f friends find this strange although I am not sure why.
3. I have been an educator for almost 20 years, about 50% of my lifetime, with only three of the past school years as a national board certified teacher. In Dec. 2006, I found out I achieved certification in the area of Career and Technical Education with a specialty in Technology Education. I have never taught a course in CATE and I not only had to learn the national board standards and curriculum but also the CATE curriculum for grades six through twelve. This was a personal professional goal for myself and was very proud of myself when I achieved certification. It was tough but glad I persisted as I really learned a great deal about accomplished teaching, refining my teaching style and reflecting upon my teaching craft.
4. I had the best mother. She recently passed away unexpectedly in September 2008 and I greatly miss her. Mom was the most giving person I know and I hope I exude that same generosity. Countless times we were told how much Mom had touched their life and given of herself freely without any expectation of return or selfishishness. Every ounce of Mom was given to her kids or grandkids. There is a huge, gaping hole left in our hearts but are comforted knowing that Mom is in a better place free of worry, stress, pain or heartache.
5. Although not finished, I have a few tech manuals that I have started and am considering publishing.
6. Secretly voted for David Cook in the last American Idol finals.
7. Love to take long baths and read mystery novels! I could never be a contender on ‘Big Brother’ or ‘Survivor’ as I wouldn’t have access to my awesome new laptop, our precious dogs and my relaxing bathtub! Oh and add my hubby to that list – can’t leave him out!
In keeping with the meme, I tag the following people: